What’s the proper way to assign permissions to people in ServiceNow? Here’s the “best practice” answer for you…
There’s a number of ways to dole out roles and privileges in the system, but which will result in the least amount of work in the future?
The Best Practice Method
- ACLs are created granting CRUD operations to various roles.
- Roles are assigned to Groups.
- Users are put into Groups, and inherit the roles from those groups.
- As people leave the organization and are replaced, simply changing who is in the group takes care of both security and assignments / who approvals go to.
- It’s very easy to add new roles to groups and have all the users inherit those, as you grow the platform.
- It’s simple to automate or delegate group membership, and by using this method, security is simplified and safely delegated as well.